A workshop for yoga students with some experience in handstand
Join Lily Dwyer Begg for a workshop that is open to intermediate level students who have an established handstand practice at the wall already. We tackle the joyful, playful, and (let’s be honest!) scary task of conquering our fear of going upside down.
We will think and move. Bring your questions!
What this workshop includes:
- Discussion: trouble shoot common pitfalls in handstand practice and identify key alignment and anatomical considerations. Explore breath and bandha, and how to build your own “inner parachute” for floating transitions.
- "Exit" strategies: Brainstorm sustainable “exit” strategies. Learn “animal walk” exercises that bring weight into the shoulder girdle, increase mobility in the hips shoulders and back, and prepare the body for handstand. Build a foundation that creates confidence, body awareness, and a more certain path in and out of handstand.
- Core exercises: Practice core exercises to identify and target the Transverse Abdominis, Pelvic Floor musculature, and Serratus Anterior that helps to support a strong handstand practice.
- Flow: Move through a 90 minute strong flow based practice, interspersed with handstand work and partner exercises, slowly taking away the training wheels of using the wall or a partner or a yoga ball for support until we are free flying on our own in the middle of the room.
- Counter poses: Time will be given for deep stretches to open the chest, hips, neck, and shoulders and plenty of wrist and forearm conditioning exercises and self massage to support the newfound love of hand-standing.
At the end of the workshop, students will receive a take home exercise protocol to continue the daily work of supporting the strong core that is needed for a more adventuresome inversion practice.
Lily Dwyer Begg
- $35 registration on/before September 21st
- $45 registration after September 21st
Yoga teachers receive 3 CEUs for attending this workshop
This workshop is part of the elective workshop series for red lila School of Yoga's 300-hour YTT program, and is open to ALL yoga students in the public to attend!
Sanctuary Bodyworks, 710 S. Ann Street, Baltimore, MD 21231
Limited free parking is available in a parking lot at the back of the studio. Free street parking is available around the studio.